Academic Advising FAQ

Have questions? The following list contains the most common questions regarding our undergraduate programs in Paul College.  While the FAQs is by no means exhaustive, it's a great first place to look.  

To search this page:

  1. Click on "expand all"
  2. Use your browser's search function by pressing "CTRL" and the "F" key at the same time
  3. Once the search bar appears, you can type in keywords in order to search the page

If you do not find the answer you are looking for, please contact your assigned academic advisor (found in MyWildcatSuccess).

Why should I meet with my advisor?

We're here to help!  Consider our office a "one-stop-shop."  If there's something we can't help you with, we'll be able to connect you with another individual, office, or organization that can.  

Here are a handful of things we can help you with:

  • Course registration
  • Academic planning
  • Majors and options
  • Minors
  • Study abroad
  • Academic support
  • Study away
  • Internships
  • Independent studies
  • Business in Practice

Even if you just need someone to listen, we're here for you. 

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

To schedule an appointment with an advisor, log into myWildcat Success via myUNH  

You can follow the directions below or consult this step-by-step guide on how to make an appointment

After logging into myWildCat Success:

    • From student home page, select “Get Advising”
    • Select “Paul College” from drop down menu
    • Select your "Appointment Type’" from drop down menu. Click “Next”
    • Select “PAUL Undergraduate Programs Office” from "Advisor’s Location" drop down menu
    • You should see your advisor's name appear
    • Select the next available appointment time block, then the appointment time that best works for you. Click “Next”
    • Please write what you’d like to discuss and any additional information in the text box, then select “Confirm Appointment”

Can I cancel my appointment in myWildCat Success?

You sure can!  If you know you can't make your scheduled meeting time, cancel your appointment.

  • You can always reschedule and make another appointment
  • By cancelling, you free up a space for another student
  • Not sure how?  Check out these instructions!

Can I review notes and resources from my advising appointment?

Yes!  You can see advising notes and attachments by navigating to the "Reports" tab in myWildCat Success.  Use these instructions to help!

How do I know who my assigned professional advisor is?

There are a few different places you can check to see who your assigned advisor is.  All three options are listed below and are outlined here as well.  

  • Log into myWildcat Success
    • On the bottom right-hand side, you'll see your advisor's name listed under ‘Your Success Team’
  • Log into WebCat 
    • Select the "Student Records" tab and then choose "View Major and Advisor" from the menu
  • Log into WebCat

What's the difference between my peer advisor and my professional advisor?

Great question!  Your Peer Advisor leads your FIRE section and is an invaluable resource because they're been in your shoes. 

Peer Advisors help their first-year students by:

  • Acting as the instructors for PAUL 405 and PAUL 406 (a year long, required course for first-year Paul students)
  • Serving as a built-in role model
  • Answering questions related to systems and processes at UNH and Paul College
  • Guiding first-year students around course selection and registration

Professional advisors help their students by:

  • Continuing the work started by Peer Advisors
  • Crafting academic plans
  • Providing insight on course registration and program requirements
  • Connecting students with academic resource offices
  • Planning for oppportunities (like studying abroad, studying away, Semester in the City, The Washington Center, etc.)

How do I add or drop a class? 

  • The last day to add or take a course pass/fail is the second Friday of the semester.
  • The last day to drop or audit a course is the fifth Friday of the semester.
  • More information including the registration calendar can be found on the Registrars' website.

What do I do if I'm trying to register for a Paul College course and it's "closed"?

  • If a Paul College course is full, a waiting list will be created. Please submit your information on the Course Waiting List form. Note that courses are only listed if all sections of a course are closed. We do not hold waiting lists for specific sections. Each student file is evaluated to determine academic needs.
  • Keep your eyes peeled for a space when registration re-opens in the winter and summer.  Things really start to move around the week before school starts and the first week of the semester.  You can use your RAC to make schedule changes during this time.
  • Not sure how to see if there's space in a class, consult these instructions

January & Summer courses: do I need to meet with an advisor?  And, how do I register?

  • It's always a good idea to meet with your advisor to discuss J-Term or Summer courses. However, it is not required in order to register for classes.
  • You do not need a RAC to register for winter or summer courses.
  • You can register for winter and summer classes in WebCat or, you can watch this video

How many credits am I allowed to register for?

  • The credit maximum for most students is 18.
  • In order to register for 20 credits, Paul College students need a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
    • Typically, the Registrar raises the credit cap the Tuesday before the semester starts.

How do I find _______ in WebCat?

WebCat houses a lot of important information related to your schedule, classes, major, and degree program.

Here are a few things you can leverage WebCat for:

How do I get my RAC number?

  • Students must meet with their academic advisor (or have their registration paperwork reviewed by their advisor) each semester to receive their registration access code (RAC).
  • In April and November, you'll receive detailed information about registration appointments including links to required paperwork.
  • Once your RAC has been assigned, you can access it in WebCat by following these instructions

How is my RAC number determined?

  • Registration Access Codes (RAC) are assigned at random in each class standing.
  • How you can determine your class standing based on earned credits!
    • 0-25 earned credits = Freshman
    • 26-57 earned credits = Sophomore
    • 58-89 earned credits = Junior
    • 90+ earned credits = Senior

When can I start in on my major and/or option courses?

In Paul College, regardless of major, students start in on required major coursework right away.  First-year students in all degree programs chip away at major courses from the start.  Classes like ECON 401, PHIL 431, and MATH 422/424A are all requirements within Paul and courses first year students take.

Students typically start taking option level courses (like Management, Information Systems & Business Analytics, Finance, etc.) during their junior year once all pre-requisistes are completed.  

In some cases, Paul College requirements also count as UNH Discovery requirements meaning, students are satisfying two requirements with one course! 

What's contained under the Business Administration umbrella (i.e., can I major in Marketing or Finance)?

Students often ask if they can major in a specific area of business, like Marketing or Finance.  The way the Business Administration degree is structured is such that under the business umbrella, students choose an option (or concentration) to focus on.  All Business Administration students need to elect one option (with the maximum being two).

For students wanting to major in Accounting, for example, their degree program (major) would be Business Administration with an option in Accounting.  

Options within Business Administration:

    How do I change my major, declare my option, and/or add a second major or option?

    You can perform all of these changes in WebCat!

    Note: all students need to declare their major and/or option by February 15th of their sophomore year.  You'll receive reminders about this declaration deadline from the Advising & Programs Office.  

    • Sign into MyUNH
    • Select Webcat
    • Select "Student Records"
    • Select "Change of Major" and then "Change Major/Option"
    • Make you "Submit" your change and then "Confirm"
      • If you don't do both these steps, your changes won't save
    • Once your change has been approved, it'll be reflected in Degree Works at the top of the page

    For a detailed walk-though of this process,  visit Declaring a Major.

    What's the difference between Analytical Economics (B.S.) and the B.A. in Economics?

    You can learn more about the program requirements for each Economics degree below:

    "The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Analytical Economics differs from the Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in Economics in that it requires more quantitative and data analysis courses, but does not require a foreign language. It emphasizes the predictive and prescriptive modeling skills that are in high demand in today's labor market. Prescriptive modeling is quantitative and strategic decision analysis geared toward corporate decisions. Predictive modeling emphasizes data analysis skills used to develop the information needed to make these decisions."

    "Bachelor of Arts in Economics is designed to offer students the maximum flexibility in tailoring a program of study and provides a powerful platform for launching careers in almost all walks of life. Students are encouraged to take a wide variety of courses, double major, and take advantage of study abroad programs."

    How do I declare a minor?

    • You can declare a minor at UNH once you have completed or are enrolled in your final coursework.
    • To officially declare the minor, you will need to complete the Minor Form and obtain all appropriate signatures.
    • Once the form is completed you can bring it or email it to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

    When do I need to petition something & why?

    Our office asks students to submit petitions whenever an exception to a policy or procedure is being made.  In some cases, a petition is needed as part of a process.

    In some instances, having the support of a faculty member is required.

    Some of the most common reasons students need to petition are:

    • Asking to lift academic actions
    • Wanting to register for 20 credits without the requisite GPA
    • Dropping or adding a course past the deadline

    Whenever you submit a petition, the more information you include, the better.  Because you're asking for an exception to be made, there need to be compelling and non-academic reasons for the request.

    If you need help with the process are unsure of whether or not you need to petition something, ask your advisor!  They're happy to assist and can provide insight into what to include in your petition. 

    I need some help in my Paul College classes...what can I do?

    • The first step is to schedule a meeting with your professor or attend office hours to discuss the situation. Several classes also have peer teaching assistants who hold office hours outside of class. Your instructor can provide more information about their teaching assistants.
    • There are a plethora of resources on campus to help you be successful.
      More information on Academic Assistance.
    • You should also schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to learn more about the resources on campus and discuss ways that you can finish strong in your courses.

    What's the process and do I need to make an appointment?

    The short answer is: yes!  But, read through the steps outlined below first:

    • The first step in the study abroad process is to attend an information session held by the UNH Global Office.
    • After you attend an information session, create your UNH-Via profile
    • Once you complete those first two steps (information session and creating a Via profile), make an appointment with your Paul College advisor.
      • It's recommended that you schedule an appointment with a Paul College advisor at least one year prior to studying abroad.
      • Your advisor can discuss coursework you can complete abroad as well as show you how your semesters at UNH will look when you return.
      • Note: it's recommended students make a "study abroad" advising appointment as walk-ins aren't a good time to chat about study abroad and what it entails.
    • Meet with UNH Global.  Paul College has a designated study abroad liaison who holds walk-in hours and can meet with you for a scheduled appointment!

    How can I find a job or internship?

    • Career and Professional Success (CaPS) works with employers who post job and internship opportunities on HandShake
    • There's a ton of valuable information on Paul College's CaPS page and if you need help with anything career related
    • You can make an appointment with a career counselor in HandShake as well!

    What is BIP?

    BIP stands for Paul College's Business In Practice Program: an experiential learning opportunity centered around giving students the skills to be successful in today’s business environment.

    Learn more about the BIP program

    How do I know if I'm required to complete BIP courses as part of my degree?

    • All Business Administration and Hotel & Hospitality students need to complete BIP courses as part of their core curriculum
      • Business Administration students need to satisfy all four BIP intelligence categories:
        • Social (PAUL 660)
        • Analytical (PAUL 670)
        • Competitive (PAUL 680)
        • Professional (PAUL 690)
          • These requirements are listed in Degree Works so you can track your progress
      • Hotel & Hospitality students need to complete three BIP courses in order to graduate: 
        • Professional (PAUL 690)
          • Note: there is a specially designated PAUL 690 for Hotel & Hospitality students
        • Two additional BIP courses (students can elect which they want to take)
          • These requirements are listed in Degree Works so you can track your progress
    • Economics students do NOT need to complete BIP courses in order to graduate

    I'm part of a club, organization, and/or co-curricular opportunity, will that count toward my BIP requirements?

    • If you have questions about this, please reach out to your academic advisor for more information
    • You can also use the guide

    I'm currently a student at UNH, how can I transfer into Paul?

    • Thanks for your interest in Paul College! We have a competitive application process for the Analytical Economics, Business Administration, and Hotel & Hospitality Management majors in Paul College.
    • If you are interested in the B.A. Economics major, you will need to meet certain criteria before you are eligible to declare. 
      Process and Criteria

    I'm not currently a Paul College student, can I speak with an advisor?

    • You sure can!  We host walk-in hours during the week that are open to all students
    • Veronika Cryer also holds virtual drop-in hours on Thursdays from 1 PM to 3 PM to help students looking to join Paul College
      • Please email her for the Zoom link!

    learn more about inter-college transfer process.

    When can I apply for Paul College scholarships?

    The Paul College scholarship application generally opens in early February and the deadline is in early March. More information about the scholarship opportunities and application process.