Business Service Center

The Business Service Center (BSC) of the Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics (PAUL) will strive to provide competent and conscientious staff who are focused on customer service and teamwork. The staff will strive for excellence, both individually and as a team.

We will realize this vision through:

  1. Adequate professional development opportunities for staff
  2. Innovation
  3. Involving staff in the decision-making process
  4. Recognizing and rewarding achievement
  5. The results will be improved job satisfaction, competent staff and a reputation for excellence.

(Approved by Finance and Administrative Council June 1998)

Our Business Service Center's purpose is to provide optimal financial and related administrative support services for the University community.

  • We are committed to being responsive, courteous, professional and efficient...
  • We take pride in our commitment to continuously improve and to uphold high quality service standards…
  • We will achieve our objectives by working collaboratively and by maintaining the integrity of the institution...
  • Our Business Service Center’s purpose is to fulfill the mission statement adopted by the Finance and Administrative Council and….
  • We are committed to provide exemplary customer service to faculty, staff and students…
  • We are committed to having trained and knowledgeable staff...
  • We are committed to fostering a respectful and professional work environment…
  • We are committed to creative problem solving and flexibility while maintaining adherence to USNH/UNH policies and procedures…
Table of Contents

Paul College has a full-time on-site Facilities Manager (Tom Trela) and support staff to oversee the day-to-day operations of the facility.

This page is designed to provide faculty and staff with an overview of the procedures to follow for various facilities-related matters.

Doors to the Paul College facility automatically lock/unlock based upon a set schedule (either academic year or summer).  Hours are posted at the entrance doors.

Faculty/staff needing to enter the building outside of the posted hours can have their UNH ID programmed as a swipe card by contacting Kevin Poliquin (x2-5201).

Paul College space is generally restricted to Paul College-sponsored events/functions, as well as those sponsored by Alumni Relations. It is the responsibility of the event organizer to submit reservation requests through the Request to Use Paul College Meeting Space form a minimum of 20 business days prior to the event. Paul College facilities will determine availability of space, review logistical requirements, and ensure there are no conflicts with other events/functions taking place on the requested date. NOTE: Events/functions should not be advertised until approval has been obtained. Visit Communications and Marketing department at PAUL College as your resource for web, social, digital and print communications.

Requests for additional furniture (desks, chairs, file cabinets, keyboard trays, etc.) should be directed to the Facilities Manager and director of Finance and Planning.  The department placing the request may be responsible for the cost.

Faculty/staff are issued keys to provide them access to their office space as well as common areas in the building.  Issuance of keys to non-Paul College faculty/staff requires the approval of the Director of Finance & Planning.

Keys to the Paul College facility are ordered through Kevin Poliquin (x2-5201).  The key holder will be required to sign a Key Issuance and Return Agreement acknowledging receipt of the key(s) as well as assume responsibility/accountability for the key(s).

Key holders must comply with all policies pertaining to the use of the key(s), including those which pertain to charges associated with lost or stolen keys.  Keys may not be loaned or transferred to another individual.

When a key is no longer needed, it must be returned so that the key holder can be released from responsibility.

Office Assignments and Moves

Prior to offering office space (to include new hires, faculty/staff relocations, visiting professors/scholars, etc.), the Facilities Manager and Director of Finance & Planning must be brought into the decision-making process.  Accommodations to install (or move) telephone and Ethernet services, keys, office signage, etc., will need to be taken into consideration.

Office Reconfigurations
Faculty/staff wishing to change the layout of his/her office must first contact the Facilities Manager to discuss needs.  A determination will be made as to when the request can be accommodated and whether other changes (e.g. telephone/Ethernet) may need to be scheduled.

Repairs / Maintenance
Requests for repairs or maintenance should be directed as follows:
Emergencies Only (e.b. water leaks, etc.)

Contact Tom Trela at (603) 862-5500 or via email:

General Requests     

Submit via email to:

After Hours (Emergencies Only)  Contact Facilities Control at (603) 862-1437

Issues requiring immediate attention attention should be reported as soon as they are noticed in order to maintain safety and minimize potential damage to the facility.  All other requests will be scheduled for resolution at the earliest opportunity.

Installation/moves of telephone and Ethernet services are scheduled through the Facilities Manager.

Faculty/staff who wish to request a long distance authorization code (business call use only) or have forgotten their code, should contact Kevin Poliquin at x2-5201.

Issues with telephone/Ethernet service should be reported to Kevin Poliquin (x2-5201).  If the issue cannot be resolved in-house, it will be escalated to the IT Help Desk on behalf of the user.

To access the Avaya Deskphone Quick Reference Guide, click here.

This page is designed to provide you with quick access to various forms by category.  Click the link to download the most current version.

Employment and HR Forms

Employee Separation Checklist Used to notify the BSC and Facilities/IT teams that an employee is leaving Paul College.  The checklist prompts for the return of all UNH/Paul College property (e.g. computers, keys, etc.).
New Hire Checklist Used to notify the BSC and Facilities/IT teams of pending new hires and identify space/services needed.
New HIre Form The hiring supervisor can complete the appropriate sections of the form and submit it to the BSC to have the employee's job record set up.
USNH Address Change Form Employees can use this webform can be used to submit changes for Campus, Postal Mailing, Residence and Foreign Addresses.
USNH Address Changes - Special Requests 

Used to submit address change for mailing checks and W-2 Forms.


Personal Reimbursement Travel Form Used to submit request for reimbursement of travel and/or business expenses.

Request for Travel Funds

This form is used to document anticipated travel expenses and obtain appropriate approvals.

Travel Advance

Used to request funds to cover anticipated ancillary costs associated with business travel.


Event Budget & Major Purchase Approval Form Used to document anticipated expenses (and obtain appropriate approvals) associated with planning an event or seeking to make a major purchase.
PCard Cover Sheet Can be used to assist in documenting expenses generated via PCard.
Table of Contents

All expenditures of USNH funds must be reasonable and necessary for carrying out the programs and activities of USNH.  Individuals authorized to expend USNH funds are responsible for exercising discretion and good judgment, regardless of the funding source.

Requests for reimbursement of expenses should be submitted to the Paul Business Service Center (BSC) by complete the USNH Personal Reimbursement Form.  Department chair or supervisor approval is required by signing the reimbursement form or attaching an email approval.

Receipts (original, itemized and legible) are required for all business expenses over $25.  When claiming actual meal expenses instead of the meal per diem rate, itemized receipts are required, regardless of cost.  Allow ten (10) business days for processing your reimbursement.

  • Receipts (original, itemized and legible)
  • Name
  • Date of expense
  • Supplier name and address
  • Business reason for the expense (explain what the purchase was and specifically what it is going to be used for)
  • Amount
  • Project, program and/or account number to be charged
  • Reimbursement for meal expenses should indicate no alcohol was purchased and include a list of names and titles of those in attendance.
  • Alcohol expenses require pre-approval via the BSC and must be itemized on the receipt.

The following items are generally NOT reimbursable:

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Tips more than 20% of the meal cost
  • Portion of per diem for conference meals paid as part of a registration fee
  • Movie rentals, theater tickets, newspapers, magazines, prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, etc.
  • Insurance on rental automobiles for USNH employees.  Additional information concerning insurance on rental cars
  • Trip/flight insurance
  • Parking tickets and fines for traffic violations
  • Personal expenses
  • Personal use potion of airfare while on USNH business
  • Personal use potion of a car rented for USNH business
  • Repairs or towing of personal vehicles used for USNH business.  These costs are included in the mileage reimbursement rate.
  • Expenses incurred by spouses, partners or family members, or rate increases occasioned by the presence of spouses, partners or family members.  Additional information pertaining to these particular types of expenses
  • Laundry service for trips of five (5) days or less
  • Personal aircraft usage
  • Extra baggage charges for personal items (e.g. golf clubs, skis, etc.)
  • Child care or pet care costs
  • Loss or theft of cash advance money or airline tickets
  • Locksmith charges
  • Lost baggage, luggage or briefcases
  • Souvenirs and personal gifts
  • Health club fees
  • Room service


Office Supplies

The Business Service Center maintains an inventory of standard office supplies (e.g. pens, pencils, highlighters, markers, legal pads, etc.) which are most often used on a daily basis.  The general supply inventory is kept in Room 370T; however, departments not conveniently located to Room 370T are welcome to maintain their own inventory as space permits.

Please contact the BSC if an item you need has been depleted, or if you need additional supplies for a particular purpose.  We will place an order and get it to you upon delivery (usually in 1-3 business days).  By exception for immediate needs, staff may also purchase supplies at Town & Campus, Staples or other office supply store using a PCard.


Non-Standard/Special Request Items

Some items are considered specialty items (those not normally kept in inventory) and may be require chair approval to be charged to the department's budget.

Of particular note, the cost of ink and toner cartridges for printers maintained outside of the shared work rooms (except those in administrative offices) will be charged to the department.  It is the responsibility of the owners of these printers to ensure they have replacement ink/toner cartridges and obtain chair approval before they are ordered.  An inventory of ink/toner cartridges for personal use printers is not maintained.

To request non-standard/special items, contact the BSC and provide either a link to the specific item or the following information:

  • Description of item
  • Business purpose for the purchase
  • Approximate cost (if known)
  • Program/workshop/account to be charged
Large-Dollar Purchases

Informal bids are required for supplies or equipment costing between $1,000 and $4,999.  For supplies or equipment costing $5,000 or more, at least three formal bids must be obtained and a completed Event Budget & Major Purchase Approval Form must be submitted to the BSC a minimum of ten (10) business days prior to the purchase being made.

Event Budget & Major Purchase Approval Form

Table of Contents


Important Note:

Travel expenses must be supported by one or more of the following forms of documentation:

  • Cashier Receipt
  • Credit Card Slip/Receipt
  • Order Form
  • Registration Form
  • Supplier Invoice
  • Receipts must be original, itemized and legible.


USNH travelers are expected to exercise good judgment when incurring travel costs, regardless of funding source.  Business travel expenses will be paid by USNH if they are reasonable, properly authorized, appropriately documented with a well-defined, compelling business purpose and within the guidelines of USNH travel policies.

Before you travel, review the University's Travel Policy Manual or contact the Paul College Business Service Center (BSC) to discuss travel policies relating to your trip.  Review the University's Travel Policy

1. Complete the USNH Pre-Approval Form. This form will help you estimate the cost of your trip prior to obtaining the required approvals (listed under #3).

2. Check the Pre-Approval box at the top of the form.

3. Required approvals:

  • Use of department or unit funds require approval from the department chair or supervisor.
  • Use of Paul College general funds require the Dean's approval, as well as approval of the department chair or supervisor.
  • Use of sponsored research/grant funding requires SPA approval if foreign travel is being charged to a grant.  Contact the BSC if you do not know your SPA representative.

4. If you would like to pre-pay any of your travel expenses (registration, air, lodging, etc.), give a copy of your signed Pre-Approval Form to your BSC contact and discuss this option.

Travel by Air and Rail

Travelers are expected to document comparative pricing and select the lowest-priced fare available for both domestic and foreign travel, regardless of the funding source.  Reservations for air or rail travel can be made with the travel agency of your choice.

Air and rail travel can be paid for using a PCard available from the BSC.  The following information must be provided to the BSC prior to payment being made with a PCard. 

  • A copy of the itinerary
  • Traveler’s name
  • Departure and destination
  • Airline or rail line
  • Estimated cost and funding source
  • Travel agency name and phone number
  • Business reason for the trip
  • After making your reservations, the PCard must be returned to the BSC.


Conference & Hotel Reservations

Reservations for conferences and hotels are usually made directly by the traveler.  A PCard approved for conference registrations and hotel reservations can be signed out in the BSC.  After making your reservations, the PCard must be returned to the BSC, along with receipts documenting the pending charges.

Most hotels require a Credit Card Authorization form be faxed to them pre-approving what expenses can be charged against a PCard.  However, travelers should be prepared to pay for their lodging with a personal credit card at the time of check out as some hotels have difficulty tracking and recording credit card information provided in advance.


A travel advance may be requested to help cover out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. taxi fares, parking fees) that cannot be readily paid for by credit card.  Requests for travel advances must be submitted to the BSC a minimum of ten (10) business days before departure date.

A Personal Reimbursement Form (along with all required receipts) must be submitted to the BSC within ten (10) business days after you return from your trip to clear the advance.  Note:  The mileage reimbursement rate has changed effective January 1, 2015.  Use the appropriate form based upon the dates of your travel.


Receipts are required to document all travel costs, except when the Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) per diem is used.  If an expense is $25.00 or less (tolls,parking, taxis, etc.), no receipt is required.

Please remember that receipts must be original, itemized and legible.


When hotel accommodations have been made using a PCard, an itemized hotel bill (a/k/a “folio”) must be submitted to the Business Service Center within ten (10) business days after you return from your trip.

Non-reimbursable expenses:  Room service, in-room movies and mini bars, health club fees, etc. are not allowable charges.  Tips for bellhops and chambermaids are non-reimbursable when claiming the Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) per diem rate.  Travelers are expected to cover these types of charges with a personal credit card at the time of check out.

USNH policy allows for reimbursement of up to $25.00/night without receipts when staying with friends or family in lieu of staying at a hotel.


There are two (2) options available to be reimbursed for meals when traveling - the Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) Per Diem Rate or Actual Expenses:

Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) Per Diem Rate:

The M&IE per diem rate applies to business-related travel involving an overnight stay.  The M&IE per diem rate includes an allowance for tips (meals, bellhops, chambermaids, etc.).  Please click here to review domestic and foreign per diem rates.

Actual Expenses:

To request reimbursement for meal costs, receipts are required for all meals, regardless of amount.  Tips on meals are reimbursable under this option but cannot exceed 20% of the meal cost.

Certain meal expenses are generally NOT reimbursable:

  • Meals for day trips
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Expenses for meals in lieu of those provided for in registration fees
  • Meals for spouses or other personal travel companions

Travelers using a PCard for car rentals should decline the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) as this coverage is provided for under the MasterCard contract.  Travelers will not be reimbursed for purchasing additional CDW and LDW coverage.

Travelers with a USNH purchasing card should contact JPM Chase at 1-800-316-6056 prior to travel to inquire about insurance coverage for overseas rentals.

In the event of an accident with a rental vehicle charged to the traveler's USNH purchasing card, the traveler should contact JPM Chase at 1-800-316-6056.  International collect calls (847-488-3748) will be accepted.  JPM Chase representatives will handle the issue with the rental agency.  The JPM Chase contract provides complete coverage for any damage.  The USNH PCard Program Administrator must also be notified of the accident as soon as possible.

Additional information concerning USNH policy on rental cars

USNH business travelers are eligible for discounted parking through the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport's discounted pricing arrangement with the State of New Hampshire.

Before leaving on your trip, contact the BSC for an authorized Employee Parking Form, along with instructions on how to take advantage of the discount.
The discounted rate is 50% of the posted daily rate for outside parking (Lots C and D ONLY).
The discounted rated does not apply to Lot A or the parking garage.  Reimbursement amounts will be limited to the discounted rate noted above.


Requests for reimbursement of travel expenses must be completed within ten (10) business days after returning from your trip.

To request a reimbursement, complete a Personal Reimbursement Form.  Receipts for claimed expenses (e.g. lodging, registration fees, airline tickets, etc.) must be attached.  If a travel advance was issued to the employee, it must be noted on the form.

The Personal Reimbursement Form must be signed by your department chair or supervisor if there is no pre-approval on file.

For additional information and USNH policies regarding travel reimbursement, click here.


USNH reimburses for actual mileage using the most direct route.  In the event the employee travels on a normal workday, he/she will be reimbursed for mileage from either his/her home or work place, whichever is less.  For travel on other than a normal workday, the employee may claim mileage from home.  Adequate records must be maintained to document mileage claimed.

For the most up-to-date mileage reimbursement rate, as well as a mileage chart for distances from the UNH campus to all New Hampshire cities and towns, click here.  Travelers may also use this link for accessing USNH travel policies and forms, as well as other travel-related information.

  • Travelers are expected to use the least expensive mode of transportation for all travel, regardless of the funding source.
  • Request written prior approval for travel from your department chair or supervisor.
  • Submit a copy of your approved travel to your BSC contact.
  • Work with your BSC contact to pre-pay conference registrations, lodging, air fare, etc.
  • When necessary, travel advances are available to cover out-of-pocket expenses.
  • Receipts are required for all travel expenses over $25.00 (per transaction).
  • Receipts are NOT required for meals when claiming the Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) per diem rate.  Deduct meals covered by conference registration fees.   All meal and lodging tips are covered by the M&IE.
  • C&J bus out of Portsmouth should be used for travel to/from Logan.  If alternative transportation is used, the reimbursement amount may be limited to the cost of C&J.
  • Discounted parking (in Lots C & D) is available at the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport.  The discounted rate is 50% of the posted daily rate for outside parking.  Pick up an authorization letter and instructions for the discounted parking in the BSC.    The reimbursement amount will be limited to the available discounted rate.
  • Note a clear business reason for your travel (e.g. faculty/program recruiting, professional development, present paper, etc.).
  • Attach a copy of the conference agenda or event flier when submitting your reimbursement request.  Be sure to include dates of travel and destination.