The minor in Hospitality Management offers a professional educational opportunity as an entree to the world's largest industry, hospitality and tourism. Students designating the minor will have opportunities to interview with major hospitality companies for staff and management training positions. In addition, students will be better able to secure meaningful work experiences in the many job opportunities in the hospitality industry during their college career as they progress towards the minor.
The curriculum for the minor is comprised of 5 required courses. The courses have been selected to ensure that all students have a well-rounded learning experience that will strengthen their ability to succeed.
The five required courses for all UNH students beginning Fall 2014 or later are:
- HMGT 401: The Hospitality Industry: Historical Perspectives and Distinguished Lecture Series (a writing intensive course) (offered fall semesters)
- HMGT 405: Introduction to Food and Service Management (offered spring semesters)
- HMGT 554: Lodging Operations Management (pre-/co-requisite: HMGT 401)
- HMGT 635: Hospitality Human Resource Management (offered spring semesters)
- ADMN 502: Financial Accounting or ACFI 501*: Survey of Accounting (*This course does not carry credit towards Paul College Majors. Students pursuing a major in Paul College should take ADMN 502.)
*** For students who have started taking minor coursework prior to Fall 2014, please note prior requirements to complete the HMGT minor or speak with an undergraduate advisor in the Paul College Undergraduate Programs and Advising office. (Please note: HMGT 567 is no longer offered, if it has not yet been completed you would need to take HMGT 405.)
- Following University policy, you must complete 20 semester hours with a grade of C- or better and a 2.0 grade point average.
- Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis may not be used for the minor.
- No more than 8 credits used by the student to satisfy major requirements may be used for the minor.
- No transfer courses may be used toward the minor.
- Capacity in most of the courses is limited.
- ACFI 501 is for the minor only, it does not carry credit toward Paul College Majors.