Business Service Center


The Business Service Center (BSC) team provides financial management and administrative coordination for faculty, staff and students of the Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics.  This includes purchasing, reimbursements, personnel and payroll processing, budgeting, and grants management.  Our purpose is to provide customer-driven financial services to students, campus departments, the PTP community and the external community.  We will work closely with the central administrative offices to ensure compliance with all University and University System policies and procedures, as well as local, state, and federal regulalations.

Our Team is focused on customer service and strives for excellence!


(Approved by Finance and Administrative Council June 1998)

Our Business Service Center's purpose is to provide optimal financial and related administrative support services for the University community.

  • We are committed to being responsive, courteous, professional and efficient...
  • We take pride in our commitment to continuously improve and to uphold high quality service standards…
  • We will achieve our objectives by working collaboratively and by maintaining the integrity of the institution...
  • Our Business Service Center’s purpose is to fulfill the mission statement adopted by the Finance and Administrative Council and….
  • We are committed to provide exemplary customer service to faculty, staff and students…
  • We are committed to having trained and knowledgeable staff...
  • We are committed to fostering a respectful and professional work environment…
  • We are committed to creative problem solving and flexibility while maintaining adherence to USNH/UNH policies and procedures…

This page is designed to provide you with quick access to policies and various forms by category.  Click the link to direct you to USNH Polices or download the most current version of forms.

Employment and HR Forms

Supervisor Onboarding Procedures     Used as a guide for supervisor's recruitment & onboarding procedures.  This process is vital in providing for a smooth onboarding process.
Quick Reference - Supervisor Onboarding Process A quick reference guide for supervisor's in the recruitment & onboarding procedures.
Finalizing New Hire Form - Supervisor This form is required to be completed by the hiring supervisor and submitted to the BSC for pending new hires in order to generate a hire letter, initiate a background review and sponsor IT accounts.
New Hire - Student & Adjunct Form The hiring supervisor must complete the appropriate sections of the form and submit it to the BSC to have the employee's job record set up.

Employee Exit Information Checklist

This checklist can be used to review the policies and procedures required before the last day of employment, including a quick information guide to your benefits upon separation. 
USNH/UNH HR Policies & Procedures A quick link to Policies & Procedures that are applicable to employees, departments & offices.
Employee Services & Personal Information Link to WISE for Employee Services and Personal Information to review/change benefits, direct deposit allocations, tax information, as well as address, phone#, email address.


USNH Travel Policies A quick link to USNH Travel Policies.
Personal Reimbursement Travel Form Used to submit request for reimbursement of travel and/or business expenses.

Travel Pre-Approval/Advance Funds Form

This form is used to document anticipated travel expenses and obtain appropriate approvals.  Form is also used to request funds to cover anticipated ancillary costs associated with business travel. 

Per Diem Rate, Domestic and Foreign

This site will help guide you through USNH policies and direct you to current domestic and foreign per diem rates.

Currency Converter

Used to convert your money based on current values. 

Mileage Per Diem Search Tool Used to find the current domestic per diem rates.
Mileage Chart - UNH Campus This mileage chart is for distances from the UNH Campus to all New Hampshire cities and towns.

Business Expense, Policies & reimbursement 

USNH Business Expense Policies A quick link to USNH Business Expense Policies.
PCard Business Expense Cover Sheet This form is used to record business expenses generated via PCard.  Receipts must be attached to form.
USNH Lost Receipt Form This form is used only if the actual receipt or invoice is unavailable and you have made a good faith effort to obtain a duplicate receipt from the vendor.
Paul College Alcohol & Food Policy Link to Alcohol & Food Policy at Paul College Events. 
Paul Guidelines - Awards, Prizes & Gift Policy A quick reference table on the policies of Awards, Gifts and Prizes. This document is for general guidance ONLY. 
Table of Contents

All expenditures of USNH funds must be reasonable and necessary for carrying out the programs and activities of USNH.  Individuals authorized to expend USNH funds are responsible for exercising discretion and good judgment, regardless of the funding source.

Per IRS requirements, reimbursement request received later than 60 calendar days after expenses are incurred must be treated as taxable.  A request is considered on time when the signed, dated form is within the 60 days of expenses incurred and is fully substantiated. Fully substantiated means that any follow up clarifications and/or further documentation has been received and the BSC is comfortable moving forward with processing. Due to this policy, Paul BSC is requesting that you submit reimbursement request within (45) days of the expense.   Personal Reimbursement Forms must be signed by your department chair/supervisor or by attaching an email approval.

Receipts (original, itemized and legible) are required for all business expenses over $25.  When claiming actual meal expenses instead of the meal per diem rate, itemized receipts are required, regardless of cost.  Allow ten (10) business days for processing your reimbursement. 

Additional information concerning Paul College Alcohol & Food Policy can be found here

  • Receipts (original, itemized and legible)
  • Name
  • Date of expense
  • Supplier name and address
  • Business reason for the expense (explain what the purchase was and specifically what it is going to be used for)
  • Amount
  • Project, program and/or account number to be charged
  • Reimbursement for meal expenses should indicate no alcohol was purchased and include a list of names and titles of those in attendance.
  • Alcohol expenses require pre-approval via the BSC and must be itemized on the receipt.

The following items are generally NOT reimbursable:

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Tips more than 20% of the meal cost
  • Portion of per diem for conference meals paid as part of a registration fee
  • Movie rentals, theater tickets, newspapers, magazines, prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, etc.
  • Insurance on rental automobiles for USNH employees.  Additional information concerning insurance on rental cars
  • Trip/flight insurance
  • Parking tickets and fines for traffic violations
  • Personal expenses
  • Personal use portion of airfare while on USNH business
  • Personal use portion of a car rented for USNH business
  • Repairs or towing of personal vehicles used for USNH business.  These costs are included in the mileage reimbursement rate.
  • Expenses incurred by spouses, partners or family members, or rate increases occasioned by the presence of spouses, partners or family members.  Additional information pertaining to these particular types of expenses
  • Laundry service for trips of five (5) days or less
  • Personal aircraft usage
  • Extra baggage charges for personal items (e.g. golf clubs, skis, etc.)
  • Fees to check-in or board early, fees for preferred seating, fees for expedited security check, flight change fees and any other optional fees
  • Child care or pet care costs
  • Loss or theft of cash advance money or airline tickets
  • Locksmith charges
  • Lost baggage, luggage or briefcases
  • Souvenirs and personal gifts
  • Health club fees
  • Room service
Office Supplies

The Business Service Center maintains an inventory of standard office supplies (e.g. pens, pencils, highlighters, markers, legal pads, etc.) which are most often used on a daily basis.  The general supply inventory is kept in Room 370T; however, departments not conveniently located to Room 370T are welcome to maintain their own inventory as space permits.

Please contact your BSC representative if an item you need has been depleted, or if you need additional supplies for a particular purpose.  We will place an order and get it to you upon delivery (usually in 1-3 business days).  By exception for immediate needs, staff may also purchase supplies at Town & Campus, Staples or other office supply stores using a PCard.

Non-Standard/Special Request Items

Some items are considered specialty items (those not normally kept in inventory) and may require chair approval to be charged to the department's budget.

Of particular note, the cost of ink and toner cartridges for printers maintained outside of the shared work rooms (except those in administrative offices) will be charged to the department.  It is the responsibility of the owners of these printers to ensure they have replacement ink/toner cartridges and obtain chair approval before they are ordered.  An inventory of ink/toner cartridges for personal use printers is not maintained.

To request non-standard/special items, contact the BSC and provide either a link to the specific item or the following information:

  • Description of item
  • Business purpose for the purchase
  • Approximate cost (if known)
  • Program/workshop/account to be charged
Large-Dollar Purchases

The Paul College Procurement Standards require use of one of the following methods of procurement based on dollar levels:

  • $1,000 - $9,999 - The reasonableness and comparison price must be documented and submitted to the Paul BSC office.
    • Contract preferred for Paul BSC approval and signatures.
    • Payment for these purchases should be processed via vendor invoice through the BSC.
  • $10,000 - $34,999 - At Least two (2) quotes (3 preferred) must be submitted to the Paul BSC office.
    • Contract required for Paul BSC approval and signatures.
    • Contracts over $25,000 require higher-level approvals.  Allow additional processing time.   
  • $35,000 or more - Formal bid process required.
    • Process will be managed by the Paul BSC working with USNH Procurement.  Allow additional processing time 



Table of Contents
Important Note:

Travel expenses must be supported by one or more of the following forms of documentation:

  • Cashier Detailed Receipt
  • Credit Card Detailed Slip/Receipt
  • Order Form
  • Registration Form
  • Supplier Invoice
  • Receipts must be original, itemized and legible.

USNH travelers are expected to exercise good judgment when incurring travel costs, regardless of funding source.  Business travel expenses will be paid by USNH if they are reasonable, properly authorized, appropriately documented with a well-defined, compelling business purpose and within the guidelines of USNH travel policies.

Before you travel, review the University's Travel Policy Manual or contact the Paul College Business Service Center (BSC) to discuss travel policies relating to your trip.  

1.  Complete the USNH Pre-Approval Form. This form will help you estimate the cost of your trip prior to obtaining the required approvals (listed under #3).

2.  Check the Pre-Approval box at the top of the form.

3.  Required approvals:

  • Use of department or unit funds require approval from the department chair or supervisor.
  • Use of Paul College general funds require the Dean's approval, as well as approval of the department chair or supervisor.
  • Use of sponsored research/grant funding requires SPA approval if foreign travel is being charged to a grant.  Contact the BSC if you do not know your SPA representative.

4.  If you would like to pre-pay any of your travel expenses (registration, air, lodging, etc.), give a copy of your signed Pre-Approval Form to your BSC contact and discuss this option.

5.  A Travel Advance may be requested to help cover out-of-pocket expenses (e.g taxi fares, parking fees) that cannot be readily paid for by credit card.  If requesting a travel advance, complete the Advance section and check the advance box on the form. Request for travel advances must be submitted to the BSC a minimum of ten (10 business days before departure date.  A Personal Reimbursement Form (along with all required receipts) must be submitted to the BSC within ten (10) business days after you return from your trip to clear the advance.

Travel by Air, Rail or Bus

Travelers are expected to document comparative pricing and select the lowest-priced fare available for both domestic and foreign travel, regardless of the funding source.  Reservations can be made online or with the travel agency of your choice.

Air, rail and bus travel can be paid for using a PCard available from the BSC.  The following information must be provided to the BSC prior to payment being made with a PCard. 

  • A copy of the itinerary
  • Traveler’s name
  • Departure and destination
  • Airline or rail line
  • Estimated cost and funding source
  • Travel agency name and phone number
  • Business reason for the trip
  • After making your reservations, the PCard must be returned to the BSC.
Conference & Hotel Reservations

Reservations for conferences and hotels are usually made directly by the traveler.  A PCard approved for conference registrations and hotel reservations can be signed out in the BSC.  After making your reservations, the PCard must be returned to the BSC, along with receipts documenting the pending charges.

Most hotels require a Credit Card Authorization form be faxed to them pre-approving what expenses can be charged against a PCard.  However, travelers should be prepared to pay for their lodging with a personal credit card at the time of check out as some hotels have difficulty tracking and recording credit card information provided in advance.


Receipts are required to document all travel costs, except when the Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) per diem is used.  If an expense is $25.00 or less (tolls, parking, taxis, etc.), no receipt is required.

Please remember that receipts must be original, itemized and legible.


An itemized hotel bill (a/k/a “folio”) must be submitted to the Business Service Center within ten (10) business days after you return from your trip.

Non-reimbursable expenses:  Room service, in-room movies and mini bars, health club fees, etc. are not allowable charges.  Tips for bellhops and chambermaids are non-reimbursable when claiming the Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) per diem rate. Travelers are expected to cover these types of charges with a personal credit card at the time of check out.

USNH policy allows for reimbursement of up to $25.00/night without receipts when staying with friends or family in lieu of staying at a hotel.


For overnight travel only, meals are reimbursed in an amount not to exceed the standard (i.e., per diem) meal allowance (see Procedure 7-002, Per Diem Rates, Domestic and Foreign).  For meal reimbursement up to the amount of the per diem allowance, no receipts are required.  Exceptions to be reimbursed for actual meal expenses greater than the per diem allowance require prior approval via the BSC and detailed receipts for all meals.  The daily per diem rate used is based on the place where the traveler stops to sleep. On the day the traveler returns home, the traveler is entitled to per diem based on the place the traveler slept the night before.

Certain meal expenses are NOT reimbursable:

  • Meals for day trips
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Expenses for meals in lieu of those provided for in registration fees
  • Meals for spouses or other personal travel companions
Vehicle Use Regulations

A Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Search must be completed on anyone for whom driving a USNH owned or rented vehicle as part of their job or role (including students renting vehicles for club travel) before driving a USNH vehicle, or to continue authorization to drive if an MVR search has not been checked in the last three years for employees and every year for students.  A University vehicle is defined as any vehicle owned, leased or rented by or on behalf of any USNH institution (paid via a PO, direct pay or Pcard).  Drivers must immediately self-report any changes in their drving record such as at fault accidents, revocations or moving violations to their supervisor who in turn will report to the unit responsible for conducting the MVR checks on their respective campus.  

Under this policy MVR checks are required for the following:

  • Those driving distances greater than 200 miles per trip in a USNH owned or rented vehicle.
  • Any employee driving a van or bus designed to carry more than 9 passengers.
  • Employees who transport students regardless of distance or vehicle type.
  • All students driving a USNH owned or rented vehicle
  • Any non-employee given permission to drive a USNH vehicle.

Departments are responsible for notifying the BSC of individuals who require an MVR search to be initiated.  The BSC will submit a request to HR and the MVR search vendor will email instructions directly to the driver with instructions on how to access the website to provide the information necessary for the MVR search to be processed.

  • Drivers that hold a NH driver license must also complete a NH Release of Motor Vehicle Records Form and have it signed in the presence of a Notory Public.  The driver will upload the completed form into the vendor site.  Please noteThe notary seal must be visible when uploaded.  A list of Notaries on campus can be found here.

For additional information concerning USNH Vehicle Management Policy, click here. 

Rental Expenses

Travelers using a PCard for car rentals should decline the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) as this coverage is provided for under the MasterCard contract.  Travelers will not be reimbursed for purchasing additional CDW and LDW coverage.

Travelers with a USNH purchasing card should contact JPM Chase at 1-800-316-6056 prior to travel to inquire about insurance coverage for overseas rentals.

In the event of an accident with a rental vehicle charged to the traveler's USNH purchasing card, the traveler should contact JPM Chase at 1-800-316-6056.  International collect calls (847-488-3748) will be accepted.  JPM Chase representatives will handle the issue with the rental agency.  The JPM Chase contract provides complete coverage for any damage.  The USNH PCard Program Administrator must also be notified of the accident as soon as possible.

For complete guidelines and information on Vehicle Rental Expenses, click here.

Travel Reimbursement Request Form

Paul BSC request submission of Travel Reimbursement Request Form within (45) days of completing a business trip.  A business trip starts when a traveler on USNH business leaves their normal place of employment or their home for another destination and ends when the traveler is back at home or normal place of employment.  Note that reimbursement is not guaranteed if a request is submitted after 60 days of completing a business trip.  Such late requests require approval from the campus CFO or designee.

Original receipts provided by the vendor for claimed expenses (e.g. lodging, registration fees, airline tickets, etc.) must be attached to the Travel Reimbursement Request Form and contain the following five IRS-required elements:
  1. Name of the vendor (person or company you paid)
  2. Transaction date (when you paid)
  3. A detailed description of goods or services purchased (what you bought)
  4. Amount paid
  5. Form of payment (how you paid - cash, check, or last four digits of credit card)
If a travel advance was issued to the employee, it must be noted on the form.

Personal Reimbursement Forms must be signed by your department chair or supervisor if there is no pre-approval on file.

**Taxability of travel reimbursements under IRS's accountable plan rules: The revised procedures adopt the IRS definition of reasonable time which is within 60 days from the date of completion of the travel.  Reimbursement request must be signed, submitted, and fully substantiated within 60 days after the end of the related travel.  Request that miss this deadline are not guaranteed to be paid, and if paid, must be treated as taxable income. 

Travel Reimbursement TimeLine

Per IRS requirements, reimbursement request received later than 60 calendar days after completion of the trip must be treated as taxable to the traveler.  Expense reimbursement requests are treated as taking place within a reasonable period if the traveler submits a request for reimbursement that is adequately supported within 60 calendar days of completing a trip, or before the end date of the grant if travel is being charged to a Sponsored Program, whichever is sooner.  A request is considered submitted on time when the date the traveler signed the form is within 60 calendar days of the completion of the trip, and the total cost of the trip is fully substantiated. Fully substantiated means that any follow up clarifications and/or further documentations has been received and the BSC is comfortable moving forward with processing. Due to this policy, Paul BSC is requesting that you submit reimbursement request within (45) days of the expense being incurred.

For travelers who received an advance before traveling, unused USNH cash advances and/or proper substantiation of all costs must be returned within 10 business days of completing the trip. see Procedure 04-008 Cash Advances for more information.

For complete guidelines and information please refer to 07-004 Travel Expense Reimbursement.

USNH reimburses for actual mileage using the most direct route.  In the event the employee travels on a normal workday, he/she will be reimbursed for mileage from either his/her home or work place, whichever is less.  For travel on other than a normal workday, the employee may claim mileage from home.  Adequate records must be maintained to document mileage claimed.

For the most up-to-date mileage reimbursement rate, as well as a mileage chart for distances from the UNH campus to all New Hampshire cities and towns, click here.  Travelers may also click here to access USNH travel policies and forms, as well as other travel-related information.

For additional USNH travel related information and mileage rates, click here.

  • Travelers are expected to use the least expensive mode of transportation for all travel, regardless of the funding source.
  • Request written prior approval for travel from your department chair or supervisor.
  • Submit a copy of your approved travel to your BSC contact.
  • Work with your BSC contact to pre-pay conference registrations, lodging, air fare, etc.
  • When necessary, travel advances are available to cover out-of-pocket expenses.
  • Receipts are required for all travel expenses over $25.00 (per transaction).
  • Receipts are NOT required for meals when claiming the Federal Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) per diem rate.  Deduct meals covered by conference registration fees.   All meal and lodging tips are covered by the M&IE.
  • C&J bus out of Portsmouth should be used for travel to/from Logan.  If alternative transportation is used, the reimbursement amount may be limited to the cost of C&J.
  • Note a clear business reason for your travel (e.g. faculty/program recruiting, professional development, present paper, etc.).
  • Attach a copy of the conference agenda or event flier when submitting your reimbursement request.  Be sure to include dates of travel and destination.




The recruitment and onboarding of applicants for benefitted and adjunct staff positions with Paul College is the mutual responsibility of the Business Service Center (BSC) and the hiring department.  To ensure that the employment process proceeds smoothly and the new staff member is added to the payroll and eligible for benefits in a timely manner, please follow the Supervisor's Recruitment & Onboarding Procedure's.

For additional resources please visit UNH Supervisor Toolkit page.

  • Please visit Kronos Information and Resources at for Kronos Training.  This site offers resources for Exempt, Non-Exempt, Adjunct/Student employees, and Supervisor/Time Approvers.

*Time sheet deadlines may change to accommodate holidays; therefore you should check the USNH HR & Payroll Production Deadlines at Payroll Documents to determine the correct deadline for time sheet deadlines/approvals.

  • Information for employees and supervisors of a faculty or staff member who are terminating employment with Paul College can find information and responsibilities at Employee Exit Information Checklist.
  • A leave of Absence is approved time off from work for reasons which can include, but are not limited to: medical leaves, maternity leaves and family leave.  Follow the Human Resource link for information on several leave programs in place depending on your job type.  The BSC is responsible for processing your leave after the required forms and approvals are completed. 



There are no people that match your search criteria.