Strategic Management, Entrepreneurship, and International Business.
Ph.D., Western University, Business Administration (Major: Strategic Management; Minors: Entrepreneurship and International Business) with a Certificate in University Teaching and Learning, Ivey Business School, Canada.
Master of Science for Teachers (Major: College Teaching), University of New Hampshire, USA.
Masters in Business Finance, Indian Institute of Finance, India.
Bachelor of Engineering (Honors with Practice School) in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, BITS Pilani, India.
Dev Dutta is an Associate Professor of Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship at the Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics, University of New Hampshire.
Dev brings with him over fifteen years of academic research experience in strategic management, entrepreneurship, and international business. Dev's research has been published in top-tier entrepreneurship research journals such as the Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice. He has also presented his research widely at national and international conferences, and won several best paper awards at these conferences.
In 2008 and 2012, Dev was nominated for the Kauffman Foundation’s prestigious Junior Faculty Fellowship in Entrepreneurship Research (only five fellowships are awarded each year at the national level). His Ph.D. thesis was a finalist in the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation’s Industries Studies Dissertation Award and won the runners-up prize in the 2009 Emerald Publishing/European Foundation for Management Development - Outstanding Doctoral Research Award in the Management and Governance category.
Dev has over fifteen years of teaching experience in strategic management and entrepreneurship and has taught at undergraduate, masters (MBA/EMBA) and doctoral (DBA) levels in different locations in the United States, Canada, China, and India. He has also supervised students’ honors theses, independent studies, internships, and applied research projects.
Prior to his doctoral studies, Dev worked for fifteen years as a corporate strategy consultant in the global Indian IT industry. He served as an in-house strategy specialist for some of the biggest names in the industry, working in the areas of value transformation, process maturity, organizational change and renewal, and business model formulation and implementation.
Dev is a certified Lean Launchpad Educator and his graduate class on entrepreneurship embracing lean startup methodologies is perhaps the first one in the country to incorporate these methods in a completely online setting. In addition, Dev holds professional national certifications as an educational expert in Technology Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial Mindset Profile, and Online Teaching and Learning.
Dev's current research projects examine different aspects of inter-firm cooperation in multiple contexts: between entrepreneurial firms and mainstream industry players, between technology intensive entrepreneurial firms themselves, and between the multinational and its cross-border subsidiaries. Within this research domain, some of Dev's recent projects have focused on the nature of entrepreneurial alliance partnerships in technology networks. He has been exploring the ways in which these partnerships facilitate innovation and new product development, specifically given the knowledge inflows, network structural arrangements, alignment of capabilities, and technological distance between alliance partners. For these projects, Dev collaborates with researchers from around the world, including the United States, Canada, China and India.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Dutta, D., Gupta, V.K. and Chen, X. 2016. Examining the impact of entrepreneurial orientation, market orientation, and learning orientation on firm performance – A moderated-mediation framework. Journal of Enterprising Culture (forthcoming).
- Dutta, D. and Hora, M. 2016. From invention success to commercialization success: Technology ventures and the benefits of upstream and downstream supply-chain alliances. Journal of Small Business Management and Technovation, Joint Special Issue on Technology and Entrepreneurship: Emerging practices, policies, and promises (forthcoming).
- Gupta, V.K. and Dutta, D. 2016. Inquiring into entrepreneurial orientation: Making progress, one step at a time. New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 19 (2), 6-11.
- Gupta, V.K., Dutta, D. et al. 2016. Classics in entrepreneurship research: Enduring insights, future promises. New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 19 (1), 9-24.
- Dutta, D. 2015. Hypercompetitive environments, co-opetition strategy, and the role of complementary assets in building competitive advantage: Insights from the RBV. Strategic Management Review, 9 (1): 1-11.
- Dutta, D., Gwebu, K. and Wang, J. 2015. Personal innovativeness in technology, related knowledge and experience, and entrepreneurial intentions in emerging technology industries: A process of causation or effectuation? International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 11 (3): 529-555.
- Dutta, D., Malhotra, S. and Zhu, P. 2015. Internationalization process, impact of slack resources, and role of the CEO: The duality of structure and agency in evolution of cross-border acquisition decisions. Journal of World Business (in print).
- Dutta, D. and Thornhill, S. 2014a. Venture cognitive logics, entrepreneurial cognitive style, and growth intentions: A conceptual model and an exploratory field study. Entrepreneurship Research Journal, 4 (2): 147-166.
- Dutta, D. and Thornhill, S. 2014b. How do entrepreneurial growth intentions evolve? A sensemaking-sensegiving perspective. Journal of Small Business Strategy, 24 (1): 60-75.
- Gupta, V.K., Dutta, D. and Chen, X. 2014. Entrepreneurial orientation capability and firm performance under conditions of organizational learning. Journal of Managerial Issues, 26 (2): 157-173.
- Dutta, D. 2013. Benefiting from your buddy: A conceptual exploration of the links between social capital and firm innovative capability under environmental turbulence. American Journal of Business, 28 (2): 192-209.
- Dutta, D. 2013. Path-dependence, VRIN resource endowments, and managers: Towards an integration of resource-based theory and upper echelons theory. Journal of Business Theory and Practice, 1 (1): 109-118.
- Dutta, D. and Beamish, P.W. 2013. Expatriate managers, product relatedness, and IJV performance: A resource and knowledge-based perspective. Journal of International Management, 19 (2): 152-162.
- Dutta, D. and Thornhill, S. 2013. The changing nature of intentions and performance in rapidly growing entrepreneurial firms: Evidence from an inductive study. Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship, 24 (2): 1-19.
- Hora, M. and Dutta, D. 2013. Entrepreneurial firms and downstream alliance partnerships: Impact of portfolio depth and scope on technology innovation and commercialization success. Production and Operations Management Journal, Special Issue on Technology Commercialization, Entrepreneurship, and Growth-driven Operations, 22 (6): 1389-1400.
- Dutta, D. 2012. Firms in turbulent environments and the competition-cooperation paradox: Insights from Hegel's Dialectic. International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy, 6 (4): 280-297.
- Dutta, D. 2012. Inter-organizational relationships and firm performance: Impact of complementary knowledge and relative absorptive capacity. Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 13 (2): 46-55.
- Dutta, D. 2011. 'Giants' partnering with 'Innovators': The strategic nature of outsourcing relationships in entrepreneurial configurations. International Journal of Business Insights & Transformation, 4 (2): 26-29.
- Dutta, D., Gwebu, K. and Wang, J. 2011. Strategy and vendor selection in IT outsourcing initiatives: Is there a method in the madness? Journal of Global Information Technology Management, Special Issue on IS Outsourcing, 14 (2): 6-25.
- Dutta D., Li, J. and Merenda, M. 2011. Fostering Entrepreneurship: Impact of Specialization and Diversity in Education. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 7 (2): 163-179.
- Hora, M. and Dutta, D. 2010. David partnering with Goliath: Alliance depth, product development, and entrepreneurial success. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Dutta, D. and Beamish, P. 2009. Discretion and internationalization: Impact of environmental determinants of managerial discretion and host country experience on entry mode choice. International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, Special Issue on Advances in Market Entry Mode Theory Development, 2 (3/4): 267-285.
- Dutta, D. and Thornhill, S. 2008. Evolution of entrepreneurial growth intentions: Toward a cognition-based model. Journal of Business Venturing, 23 (3): 307-332.
- Dutta, D. and Crossan, M. 2005. The nature of entrepreneurial opportunities: Understanding the process using the 4I organizational learning framework. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 29 (4): 425-449.
Refereed Practitioner Journal Article
- Dutta, D. 1999. Building and sustaining competitive advantage in the knowledge era: Can information technology help? JIMS 8M: The Journal of Indian Management & Strategy, 4 (3): 17-29. Reprinted in Sengupta, A.K. and Gupta, A. (Eds.). 2000: Creating corporate advantage. New Delhi: Excel Books.
Refereed Book Chapters
- Dutta, D. and Yavuz, I. 2016. Survived, but cannot prosper: Examining through a liberal feminist lens the impact of gender inequality on success of women-owned entrepreneurial ventures. In Manolova, T., Edelman, L., Brush, C., Welter, F. and Robb, A. (Eds.): Entrepreneurial ecosystems and growth of women’s entrepreneurship: A comparative analysis. Northampton, MA: Edward-Elgar Publishing, Inc.Dutta, D. 2012. Corporate venturing. In Marvel, M.R. (Ed.): Encyclopedia of new venture management. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Dutta, D. 2011. Globalizing Indian business schools: Need for adopting constructivism in teaching and learning. In Agarwal, R. and Pandey, A. (Eds.): Globalizing India: Role & response of Indian B-Schools. New Delhi: All India Management Association and Excel Books Private Limited.
- Fang, Y. and Dutta, D. 2009. Explaining organizational virtuality: Insights from the knowledge-based view. In St. Amant, K. et al (Eds.): Handbook of research on virtual workplaces and the new nature of business. Hershey, PA: IDEA Group, Inc.
- Dutta, D. 2006. Becoming a learning organization in the software industry: Is CMM the silver bullet? In Walters, B. and Tang, Z. (Eds.): IT-enabled strategic management: Increasing returns for the organization. Hershey, PA: IDEA Group, Inc.
- Dutta, D. 2000. HRD and organizational competence. In Kandula, S.R. and Bapuji, H. B. (Eds.): Perspectives on HRD and OD in Indian organizations. Hyderabad: Academy of Human Resources Development.
- Dutta, D. 2006. Andrew Morton. In Leenders, M.R., Johnson, P.F., Flynn, A.E. and Fearon, H.E. Purchasing and Supply Management: With 50 Supply Chain Cases. Boston, McGraw-Hill Irwin.
- Thornhill, S., Dutta, D. and Friedman, D. 2003.Van City Credit Union: Corporate venturing into uncharted waters. London, ON: Ivey Publishing. Reprinted in Morse, E.A. and Mitchell, R.K. (Eds.). 2006: Cases in entrepreneurship: The venture creation process. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
REFEREED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS/PRESENTATIONS
- Dutta, D. Technology, innovation, and commercialization: The nexus of entrepreneurship. Presented as an invited panelist at the 2015 International Conference on Advancement in Management, Boston, MA (July).
- Dutta, D. and Hora, M. Entrepreneurial ventures and innovation performance in uncertain technological environments: The role of knowledge stocks and flows. Presented at the 2015 USASBE Entrepreneurship Research and Teaching Conference, Tampa, FL (January).
- Dutta, D. and Qureshi, I. Managing growth with responsiveness in social ventures: Balancing the competing logics of market and mission. Presented at the 2015 USASBE Entrepreneurship Research and Teaching Conference, Tampa, FL (January).
- Dutta, D. and Yavuz, I. When entrepreneurship becomes gendered: The impact of gender inequality on entrepreneurial success. Presented at the 2015 Diana International Conference on Women in Entrepreneurship, Boston, MA (June).
- Gupta, V.K., Dutta, D. and Sayed, A. Is more always better? Entrepreneurial orientation and firm performance under the contingent influence of CEO power. Presented in the competitive paper presentation session at the 2015 Eastern Academy of Management Conference, Philadelphia, PA (May).
- Yavuz, R.I., Dutta, D. and Soytas, M. Optimistic entrepreneurs and strategic change in high-tech new ventures: An examination based on the behavioral theory of the firm. Presented in competitive paper presentation session at the 2015 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Boston, MA (June).
- Dutta, D. and Chen, X. Impact of entrepreneurial orientation, market orientation, and organizational learning on shareholder value: A moderated-mediation model. Presented at the 2014 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, London, ON Canada.
- Dutta, D. Malhotra, S. and Zhu, P. Strategic persistence and change in cross-border acquisition decisions: Examining the duality of structure and agency. Presented at the 2014 Eastern Academy of Management Conference, Savannah, GA.
- Dutta, D. (with M.B. Rousseau, F.W. Kellermanns, J.C. Sexton, J.J. Daspit and M.Hora). Symposium on the nexus of innovation and entrepreneurship. Presented at the 2014 Southern Management Association Conference, Savannah, GA.Dutta, D. Malhotra, S. and Zhu, P. Strategic persistence and change in cross-border acquisition decisions: Examining the duality of structure and agency. Presented at the 2014 Southern Management Association Conference, Savannah, GA.
- Stachowicz-Stanusch, A. Gentile, M., Dutta, D. Using the power of spiritual and religious words to create a sustainable and responsible world. Professional Development Workshop (PDW) presented at the 2014 Academy of Management Meetings, Philadelphia, PA.
- Wilson, F. and Dutta, D. It's the market, stupid: How industry conditions and structure impact the success of hybrid organizations - insights from the application of IO Economics principles to the social entrepreneurship context. Presented at the 2014 NYU Stern Annual social Entrepreneurship Conference, Boston, MA.
- Dutta, D. and Hora, M. 2013. Entrepreneurial ventures, signaling based on knowledge partnerships, and acquisition likelihood. Presented at Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA. Paper was nominated for the best conference paper award.
- Dutta, D., Aktekin, T. and Sohl, J. 2013. Entrepreneurial firms and signaling for creditworthiness: A Bayesian modeling approach. Presented at Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Lyon, France.
- Gupta, V., Dutta, D. and Chen, X. 2012. Impact of entrepreneurial orientation and market orientation on shareholder value: Managing strategic contradictions through ambidexterity. Presented at the Eastern Academy of Management Conference. Won the best conference paper award.
- Paper (jointly with V. Gupta and X. Chen) won the best paper award at the 2012 Eastern Academy of Management Conference, Philadelphia.
- 2011: Best Research Paper Award for the paper titled “Globalizing Indian business schools: Need for adopting constructivism in teaching and learning” at the All India Management Association’s National research Conference on Globalizing India: Role of Indian Business Schools, New Delhi, January 2011.
- 2009: Runner’s up Prize for Emerald Publishing-European Foundation for Management Development’s Outstanding Doctoral Research Award in the Management and Governance category.
- 2008: Shortlisted for the final round of Kaufmann Foundation’s Junior Faculty Fellowship in Entrepreneurship Research Awards.
- 2008: Ph.D. Thesis was a finalist for the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation’s Industries Studies Dissertation Award.
- 2015: Paul College Summer Research Grant 2015.
- 2015: UNH Open Educational Resources (OER) Ambassador Fellowship Grant, 2015.
- 2014: University of New Hampshire Provost’s Office Sponsored Faculty Development Grant.
- 2014: University of New Hampshire Center for International Education Faculty Research and Teaching Grant.
- 2012-13: Peter T Paul College Faculty Research Fellowship.
- 2012: Coleman Scholarship for Gateway Entrepreneurship Research Conference.
- 2011-12: Whittemore School Faculty Research Fellowship.
- 2009-10: Recipient of OBTS Teaching Society for Educators’ Grant for Development of Experiential Learning Teaching Materials.
- 2009: Faculty Travel Grant, UNH Center for International Education.
- 2009-10: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Canada Research Grant to study the nature of sustainable competitive advantage in temporary organizations.
- 2007-08: Recipient of Faculty Development Grants from University of New Hampshire Provost’s Office and the UNH Center for International Education.
- 2006-07: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Canada PhD Studies Grant through Athabasca University, Alberta.
- 2007: CIBER Scholarship for attending the Faculty Development on International Entrepreneurship, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center.
- 2006: Coleman Foundation Grant for attending the Experiential Classroom VII on Teaching Entrepreneurship, Michael J. Falcone Center for Entrepreneurship, Syracuse University. Also received the Igniting the Flame Award for Creative Teaching at this event.
- 2006: Annual Grant, Doctoral Institute and Teaching Conference, OB Teaching Society.
- 2005: Best Student Paper Award, Strategy Division, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- 2004: Runners-up Prize, Booz Allen Hamilton and Strategic Management Society PhD Fellowship Competition, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 2004: Honorable Mention, Sprott School of Business Annual PhD. Students’ Conference and Paper Presentation Competition, Carleton University, Ottawa.
- 2001-05: PhD Studies Research Grant, Ivey Business School.
♦ 2001-05: Plan for Excellence Doctoral Award, University of Western Ontario.
♦ 2002-03: Endla and John Gilmour Foundation PhD Award, administered through the Ivey Business School.
♦ 1999: First Prize Winner in the IT Division, JIMS Annual Management Paper Contest and Conference on Creating Corporate Advantage, New Delhi.